The Beginners Guide to Thrift Shopping
The key to curating an eclectic wardrobe is to find unique pieces that represent your personal style. Instead of shopping at fast fashion retailers that sell the same clothes to the masses, I recommend stopping in at your local thrift store. I have found some of my favorite pieces in my closet, at my local Salvation Army and Goodwill. Not only do I find quality garments at a fraction of the cost, I also know that the treasures I find will not be the same as anyone else shopping there. In an effort to inspire others to fall in love with thrift shopping, I have decided to divulge the tricks of the trade. Below are my top 10 tips for thrifting like a pro.
1. Always bring a style advisor aka your best friend.
2. Keep an eye out for statement pieces that will push you to style outside your comfort zone.
3. Don’t just look for brands, look for quality.
4. Check what days your local thrift store may have sale.
5. For a good pair of Levis don’t be afraid to check the men’s racks, the boyfriend look is in.
6. Don’t go in looking for something particular, it’s more fun to find things you never even knew existed.
7. Don’t be afraid to sift through dingy t-shirt racks, sometimes there are vintage concert t-shirts, or quirky graphic t’s that are fun to style.
8. Find pieces that can be altered, t-shirts to crop, skirts to hem, jeans to distress, ext.
9. Try on things before you buy, this is an excuse to have a mini fashion show in the store with your friend.
10. Take your time, finding quality unique pieces to add to your wardrobe should be an enjoyable process not a rushed shopping trip.